Sunday 19 September 2010

In den Bergen

"Interlaken itself is only of passing interest, with precious little to see or do..." is how my Rough Guide to Switzerland describes where I (or rather, the SBB) took myself yesterday. I'd finished work by 11am and was seized with a sense of adventure and the desire to see mountains and put my new railcard to use. Not too long later and I was sat on the 1301 train bound for Interlaken Ost. Why didn't I heed to warnings of my tourguide!?

It seems that there is "precious little" in Interlaken, and after wandering up and down the main street and having some food, I decided to walk behind the trainstation and along the Aare to the east. I'm glad I did, because the little path along the river opened up to the rather fetching Brienzersee. Unfortunately it started to get dusky and I headed back to the station to catch the first train after 7pm that I could (making my journey home free). I will go back, though, if only to walk along the bank of the lake a bit more. Interlaken can stay where it is.

1 comment:

  1. lets hope you can identify all of the nice places with things to see and do before we come out we would hate to be bored by our international tour guides lack of places to go and things to do take care big P and jules

    ReplyDelete