Thursday 10 February 2011

Plättli


Plättli is one of the Swiss words I have learnt since moving to Basel. In High German, it's Kacheln. In English, tiles. Many who have been to Switzerland or have seen photos from here know that many, many design choices (in the broad, general population) were made some point in the early 1970s. Many chose their haircut then, for example. Actually, that's not fair- many have blatantly copied Dame Bonnie Tyler's look in Total Eclipse of the Heart, and are proud that, every now and then they fall apart.

But back to the tiles. Yesterday I moved into a new room in the flat and I was taking a couple of pictures of it earlier today and thought I would take one of the oranges Bad, too. It's the one the boys use, and is so-called for the reason you can see above. Maybe if you showed this picture to your nan she would have flashbacks of your granda holding her hair back in a room that looked very similar...

But all I can say is this: they grow on you. I would love tiles like this next year in Blighty, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment