Saturday 13 November 2010

Rivella


Anyone who has been lucky enough to visit Helvetica will no doubt have seen bottles of the mysterious looking beverage pictured above. It is, as the name suggests, Rivella, one of the great, Swiss enigmas. It's taste is hard to describe- whilst my friend and I were investigating it, the best reply we got was that "red is the original". Good to know, but not very helpful.

One day, not so long ago, I took the plunge and tried the blue variety (diet Rivella). It was strange, almost like watered down red bull mixed with apple juice. Suprisingly refreshing. But woe! After drinking a whole bottle of red, my stomach revolted. "Why?" I hear you ask. Let me explain. One of the main ingredients in this strange concoction is Milchserum, or whey. It seems my increasing intolerance of lactose stretches even to Rivella. There is little to no hope of me
eating either Raclette or Fondue whilest I'm here.

Fortunately, the smart folks over at Rivella have developed yellow Rivella, which is made from soy bean serum and is not only suitable for vegans, but is also lactose-free. Huzzah. My occasional strayings from my usual soft-drink of choice (Coke Zero) can now include Rivella.

Give it a go. I dare you.

1 comment:

  1. you should have mixed it with gin!!!!!!
    hope that your feeling better and ready for the next round, or what ever you might just come across................. jules & big P

    ReplyDelete